Would you like to control which user data Windows 10 collects? Then you should make a few important settings. Here are 5 tips on how to protect your privacy.
Adjust the permissions in the Windows settings to prevent data collection
© Shutterstock / Joe Prachatree
In the standard configuration, Windows 10 collects a lot of data. However, users can make numerous settings to prevent this.
In fact, Windows 10 offers more security options than any other version of Windows before – so many that most users don’t even know all of them. Authorizations can be adjusted for a wide variety of areas, such as cameras, voice recognition, notifications, diagnostics, contacts, account information and much more.
This is good on the one hand, but also confusing on the other. Because with so many options it is difficult to find the data protection settings that are really important.
The following five tips will help:
1. Check what data Microsoft is collecting. By default, Windows 10 collects specific diagnostic data from your PC and sends it to Microsoft. in the menu
Start – Settings – Data Protection – Diagnosis and Feedback
you can view and adjust the configuration. Just keep in mind that Microsoft uses this data to keep your PC updated and to help you troubleshoot problems.
2. Forego a customized user experience. Also under
Diagnosis and feedback
uncheck the option that allows Microsoft to use your diagnostic data to provide you with a more personalized user experience with relevant tips and recommendations. Set the
Individual user experience
3. Remain anonymous. Deactivate under
Settings – Privacy – Account information
Allow apps to access your account information
and prevent access to your name, picture and other account information.
4. Prevent ad tracking. In the tab
deactivate the option that should allow apps to use the advertising ID in order to show you advertisements that are of interest to you based on your app usage.
5. Use anti-tracking software. Let the professionals hide your online presence and keep advertisers at bay. With anti-tracking software, you can conveniently and easily control most of Microsoft’s privacy settings.
Even if the privacy settings of Windows 10 may be confusing at first, it is worth taking a closer look. Because even in digital life, we should use our possibilities to protect ourselves.
Windows 10: The best tips for security & privacy