After a violent Corona outbreak in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria’s Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) is calling for consequences for the alleged perpetrator.
“Should it be confirmed that the woman has deliberately ignored the quarantine despite clear corona symptoms, she must expect a heavy fine,” said Herrmann to “Münchner Merkur”. “Against such recklessness, a clear signal and a cautionary example should be set that anyone who violates the rules in this particular situation of the pandemic and deliberately puts others at risk must expect severe sanctions.”
The responsible district office assumes that the outbreak is due to a so-called super spreader. The 26-year-old is said to have wandered through various pubs in the market town at the foot of the Zugspitze and infected several people in the process.
According to the authority, she has already had symptoms on the pub crawl and has been waiting for the results of her corona test. In Bavaria, violations of quarantine requirements can result in a fine of 2,000 euros.
The woman did not wait for the result of her corona test
“The lady had symptoms, was with us at the test station and was asked to remain in quarantine because of the symptoms. But she didn’t do that, ”said the district administration’s spokesman, Stephan Scharf.
The 26-year-old had just returned from a vacation in Greece. Whether she got infected on the trip or afterwards in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, that is unclear. “We don’t know where she got infected.”
“There are more cases in which people don’t wait for the test result,” said Scharf. “And the nationality doesn’t really matter either. But we wanted as many people as possible to get in touch who remembered having had contact with the woman in a bar in the past few days. “
In order to make identification easier for possible contact persons, the authority published the fact that the woman is an American who lives and works in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
The health department is calling on people between the ages of 18 and 35 to have corona tests
Because not all contact persons have been tracked so far, the health authorities are asking those who were out in local bars on or before this evening to contact the health department’s hotline (08821 / 751-500) and have themselves tested. The appeal is aimed primarily at young people between the ages of 18 and 35, who may have been infected, are invited to be tested.
According to Scharf, 24 people have so far tested positive in a hotel where the woman works. Overall, the number of new infections by Saturday was 37. The seven-day incidence was 54 and thus above the critical level of 50 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants in seven days.
“Of course, they don’t all have to be infected with her,” Scharf emphasized. 453 positive cases have been detected in the district since the beginning of the Corona crisis.
Consequence of the Corona debacle: “We want to shut down the nightlife”
“From a medical point of view, a further significant increase in infections in the district is to be expected,” said the district office and imposed restrictions on public life in the market town of around 26,000 inhabitants on Friday. “We want to shut down the nightlife that triggered it.”
All restaurants have to close there at 10 p.m. Only a maximum of five people are allowed to meet in public space – this also applies to all restaurants. For private events, the number of participants is limited to a maximum of 50 people in closed rooms or up to 100 people in the open air.
Because of the high number of infections, two demonstrations planned for the weekend were also canceled: The event “Ausbremst is” and a rally by farmers in protest against the spread of wolves in Bavaria.