Facebook launched its own online dating platform Dating in September 2019. Six months ago, the service also became active in our country (and a large part of Europe). Still, according to analysts, the success of Facebook Dating remains rather limited for the time being, especially when you compare it with market leader Tinder.
The principle has been known by tech companies for some time: when Facebook throws itself at something, the competition trembles and trembles. When the company first revealed its plans for Facebook Dating almost three years ago, Match.com’s stock plummeted. That is the umbrella company of Match.com, OkCupid, Hinge, PlentyOfFish and Tinder and therefore the largest player when it comes to online dating.
However, a year and a half after its launch – and a half year after its expansion into Europe – Facebook Dating is anything but a hit. The company itself does not share official user data, but the website The Verge recently made a realistic estimate based on data on advertising revenues. This shows that Facebook Dating is not very big at the moment, although it is still growing.
Tinder and Bumble
A case study in New York shows 278,000 singles there have Facebook Dating. However, demographics show that there are about 4 million singles in the American city. 7 percent of them have a profile on Dating, although it is unclear how active they are.
A Match Group spokesperson told The Verge that their various applications together have a lot more active users in the region. How much exactly did the company want to say. Other studies indicate that Tinder is still the most used dating app in Belgium, closely followed by Bumble.
What’s Facebook’s Plan for Dating?
Due to the limited success of Facebook Dating and the fact that the company still doesn’t have ads in place, it seems logical at first glance that CEO Mark Zuckerberg would decide to run the service soon. Still, the dating feature has plenty of benefits for Facebook.
- People return to Facebook later
- Due to the success of other applications such as Instagram and Snapchat, Facebook saw its number of active users and especially the number of hours that they were active, decrease seriously. During a meeting in 2020, Zuckerberg said that Facebook Dating could become the driving force that drives people to the app more often.
- Collect additional data about users
- Facebook’s business model is based on collecting data from its billions of users. On the basis of this data, they can allow potential advertisers to advertise in a more targeted manner, which means that Facebook earns more money. The data collected through Facebook Dating is an additional help. Unlike competitors such as Tinder, Grindr and OkCupid, Facebook does not sell user information directly.
- In the ideal scenario for Facebook, people who are active on Dating also become more active on Facebook itself and Messenger, so that new user data can also be collected via those services.
- Ads in the future
- Finally, there is also a chance that in the future, if there are more users, Facebook will decide to show advertisements in Facebook Dating.