The Italians shine with their speed and stamina and burned the fastest lap time into the asphalt during the Formula 1 test in the desert on Friday. The Spaniard Carlos Sainz got hold of the place in the sun.
Striking: The Scuderia seems to have gotten the dreaded jumping of the car under control due to the ground effect. Background: The Italians have pulled a strut to the ground on the outside of the underbody so that the edge does not bend too much.
Unlike Ferrari, Mercedes has not yet found the ideal compromise between downforce and ground clearance. Nevertheless, the eyes of the track judge that the Silver Arrow accelerates out of the curves better than the competition.
Ferrari star Sainz therefore does not attach any importance to the comparatively slow drive of Hamilton and George Russell: “It will be the same as always,” he believes. “Mercedes is rather inconspicuous during the winter test and then fully committed to the music at the start of the season.”
Mick Schumacher finished twelfth, 1.3 seconds behind his new team-mate Kevin Magnussen (P9). He only turns 23 laps. “We still have little things that prevent us from driving as much as we would like,” says Haas team boss Günther Steiner. “Everything on this car is new, so you have to expect problems like this.”
Formula 1 testing in Bahrain
2. Max Verstappen (NL), Red Bull Racing RB18-Red Bull, 1:34.011 (86) C4
3. Lance Stroll (CDN), Aston Martin AMR22-Mercedes, 1:34.064 (70) C4
4. Lewis Hamilton (GB), Mercedes W13, 1:34.141 (47) C5
5. Esteban Ocon (F), Alpine A522-Renault, 1:34.276 (111) C4
6. Charles Leclerc (MC), Ferrari F1-75, 1:34.366 (54) C3
7. Lando Norris (GB), McLaren MCL36-Mercedes, 1:34.609 (60) C3
8. Sebastian Vettel (D), Aston Martin AMR22 Mercedes, 1:36.020 (46) C3
9. Kevin Magnussen (DK), Haas VF-22 Ferrari, 1:36.505 (39) C3
10. Yuki Tsunoda (J), AlphaTauri AT03-Red Bull, 1:36.802 (120) C3
11. Valtteri Bottas (FIN), Alfa Romeo C42-Ferrari, 1:36.987 (25) C2
12. Mick Schumacher (D), Haas VF-22 Ferrari, 1:37.846 (23) C2
13. George Russell (GB), Mercedes W13, 1:38.585 (67) C2
14. Nicholas Latifi (CDN), Williams FW44-Mercedes, 1:39.845 (12) C2
15. Guanyu Zhou (RCH), Alfa Romeo C42-Ferrari, 1:39.984 (48) C2
Tire compounds: C1 very hard, C2 hard, C3 medium hard, C4 soft, C5 very soft