Hamilton criticizes slide: “shit”
The Turkey GP could turn into a chaos race according to the findings of the training. Cold temperatures and new asphalt.
Rain in qualifying?
Hamilton finished fourth
© LAT / Mercedes
The problem on Friday: The temperatures are low in Istanbul, the asphalt is new and not as rough as Pirelli expected. The tire monopolist has therefore brought the three hardest compounds with him. Result: lots of slides and twists. The teams that get the tires up to temperature quickly have an advantage. In the course of the season that was actually Mercedes, thanks to the “DAS” system, but also Ferrari.
Hamilton is really pissed: “This circuit is such a fantastic circuit and I really don’t understand why they spend millions to put it on. They might have just cleaned it instead of wasting all the money.” And further: “The tires don’t work, and you can see that. It’s like an ice rink out there. That’s shit with a big S.”
Tomorrow’s the third free practice session at 10 a.m.
1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull-Honda) 1: 28.330
2. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.401
3. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) +0.575
4. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.850
5. Alex Albon (Red Bull-Honda) +1.033
6. Daniil Kvyat (Alpha Tauri-Honda) +1,359
7. Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri-Honda) +1.614
8. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) +1.692
9. Lance Stroll (Racing Point-Mercedes) +1.967
10. Lando Norris (McLaren-Renault) +2,577
11. Sergio Pérez (Racing Point-Mercedes) +2.774
12. Esteban Ocon (Renault) +3,050
13. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo-Ferrari) +3,163
14. Carlos Sainz (McLaren-Renault) +3,168
15. Daniel Ricciardo (Renault) +3.330
16. Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo-Ferrari) +3.602
17. George Russell (Williams-Mercedes) +3,972
18. Romain Grosjean (Haas-Ferrari) +4,240
19. Kevin Magnussen (Haas-Ferrari) +4,477
20. Nicholas Latifi (Williams-Mercedes) +5.158