Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain, Max Verstappen in Imola, Hamilton in Portugal – Max Verstappen should actually fight back at the Spanish GP. But in the second practice session of Formula 1 in Barcelona, Red Bull couldn’t keep up with Mercedes.
Lewis Hamilton set the fastest time ahead of Valtteri Bottas. Against Red Bull: Verstappen did not get past ninth place, Sergio Pérez was tenth. After all: Verstappen only lost a tenth of a second to Hamilton’s fastest time on a fast lap in the first two sectors. But after a mistake in turn ten, the Dutchman broke off his lap. So Red Bull is not quite as beaten as the rankings appear at first glance.
Red Bull’s long run times were also slower than Mercedes’. Verstappen also received the announcement via radio: “Pay attention to the left front tire.”
Vettel just missed the top 10
Exciting: The first 14 drivers are within a second. Best of the rest behind Mercedes was Charles Leclerc in a Ferrari. But at Ferrari in 2021 the rule was: strong performance on a flying lap, but weaker performance in racing trim. Local hero Fernando Alonso was also strong in fifth.
Sebastian Vettel is no longer without a chance in the Aston Martin-Mercedes thanks to the aerodynamics update. Eleventh place is not impressive, but the German is close to scoring points. And: Vettel has stable colleague Lance Stroll firmly under control. Again he was two tenths of a second faster than the team owner’s son.
Schumacher with a mistake in turn nine
Mick Schumacher did the compulsory program: in 19th place he was four tenths faster than teammate Nikita Mazepin. But Schumi junior wants to look ahead: “Q2 remains our medium-term goal,” he explains. However, Schumacher was three tenths of a second short of his favorite opponent Nicholas Latifi (Williams-Mercedes) in 18th place. Despite a new exhaust system, the Haas remains the worst Formula 1 car.
Team boss Günther Steiner is nevertheless optimistic: “Mick made a mistake in turn nine. A little something is still in there, but it will be difficult. “
Result of the 2nd practice Spanish GP
1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1: 18.170
2. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) +0.139
3. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.165
4. Esteban Ocon (Alpine-Renault) +0.296
5. Fernando Alonso (Alpine-Renault) +0.348
6. Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri-Honda) +0.423
7. Yuki Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri-Honda) 0.449
8. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +0.504
9. Max Verstappen (Red Bull-Honda) +0.615
10. Sergio Pérez (Red Bull-Honda) +0.748
11. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin-Mercedes) +0.777
12. Lando Norris (McLaren-Mercedes) +0.922
13. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo-Ferrari) +0.952
14. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin-Mercedes) +0.964
15. Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren-Mercedes) +1.025
16. Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo-Ferrari) +1.043
17. George Russell (Williams-Mercedes) +1.787
18. Nicholas Latifi (Williams-Mercedes) +1.876
19. Mick Schumacher (Haas-Ferrari) +2,156
20. Nikita Mazepin (Haas-Ferrari) +2,583