Genocide in Rwanda: the main financier was arrested in Paris

In 1994 Kabuga was considered the richest man in the country. The saga of his success still reaches the most remote villages; there farmers, if they have saved a little money, get the nickname “Kabuga”.
In 1993 the self-made man finally made it to the top of society. One of his daughters marries President’s eldest son Juvénal Habyarimana, he also becomes father-in-law of the then Minister of Planning Augustin Ngirabatware.

35 years in prison

On April 6, 1994, the Hutu Habyarimana killed when his plane was shot down – the attack is considered the starting point of the massacre, in which around 800,000 members of the Tusi minority and moderate Hutus were killed between April and July 1994. Minister too Ngirabatware is involved in the plans for that massacre – for this he will be from 2012 International Criminal Court For Rwanda (ICTR) sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Kabuga is one of the most important ICTR defendants. The court accuses him of having founded the Interahamwe militia – the armed group mainly for the genocide to the Tutsi. He is said to have used his wealth and power to raise money to finance the militias as head of the National Defense Fund (FDN).

Machetes imported

Kabuga is also said to have imported large quantities of machetes, with which many of the massacre were perpetrated. At least two of the massacre he is said to have personally led. He also helped build the infamous Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines. The transmitter incited the population to take part in the murders.

The Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), founded in exile by Tutsi rebels, only ends after around a hundred days with today’s President Paul Kagame slaughter at the top. Kabuga flees to the Switzerland, but is expelled a month later from the country. He is following Kinshasa, the capital of today Democratic Republic of the Congo, and finally after Kenya.

Five million dollars in bounty

He is now being sought with an international arrest warrant, but escapes arrest three times. 2002 put the United States a bounty of five million dollars (4.63 million euros) on Kabuga and leave him with a media campaign all over Kenya search. Vain.

Familiar Kabugas repeatedly assert that he has long since died. The International Criminal Court For Rwanda, who will stop working in 2015, and his legal successor MICT do not believe these insurance companies. Kabugas arrest in Asnieres-sur-Seinewhere he hid with the help of his daughters under false identity now proves their mistrust.


Related Articles

Back to top button