After a long development, the final version of Kodi 19.0 “Matrix” is available for free download! Among other things, the support for the AV1 codec, Dolby Vision HDR and Apple TV devices from 4th / 5th is new. Generation.
Countless programmers had participated in the optimization and expansion of Kodi. 50 open source developers changed around 5,500 files and changed around 600,000 lines of code. The result is the first stable version Kodi 19.0 with the code name “Matrix”. The list of new features also makes us sit up and take notice. Especially the support for Apple TV devices of the 4th and 5th generation is more than interesting. Unfortunately, the Kodi app can only be installed on tvOS devices via “detours” so far. This fact will certainly not prevent fans from playing a Kodi release on their HD / 4K streaming player. We have listed the highlight innovations of Kodi 19.0 “Matrix” below:
Innovations Kodi 19.0 “Matrix”:
- Reproduction: AV1-encoded videos can now be processed. HLG HDR and HDR10 playback is now supported on Windows 10 systems. Static HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR can be played on Android devices.
- Surface: Revised design especially for playing music pieces. New display of metadata, playlists and the “Now Playing” display. Update of the GUI control. Overall, perhaps rather subtle changes, but these make for an even better user experience.
- Subtitle: Timestamp overlays were fixed. From now on, a dark gray color and the transparency for the subtitles can be selected (which should be particularly helpful for the playback of HDR content).
- Safety: Kodi has now implemented some new security features to protect you from deliberate or unintentional problems. Kodi now enforces the original files of the installed add-ons and their dependencies, which prevents third-party repositories from overwriting the code of unrelated add-ons
- Platforms: The big platform change with this version is the new support for tvOS, which means saying goodbye to iOS 32-bit. In addition, there are special improvements such as TopShelf support and fixes for AppleTV, better logging and notch support for iOS and the switch to a single Linux binary for multi-window systems (X11, Wayland and GBM) compared to the previous three.
- AddOns & Scrappers: The old XML metadata scrapper is being replaced by the new Pyhon 3 variant. Metadata for films and TV shows should be able to be called up optimally. The system documentation for binary addons has been improved. Tidy settings dialogs and better help texts.
You can find all information about Kodi 19 “Matrix” in this post. The new version can be downloaded for free through the “usual channels”!