LG seems to want to reinvent the smartphone market. The South Korean brand has just introduced the LG Wing, a smartphone with a rotatable second screen. In addition, it also teased a model with a retractable screen.
In the news: LG has presented its new smartphone LG Wing. It is a device with two screens that sit one above the other. By rotating the top screen, you get to see the bottom and you have a smartphone in a T-shape.
The details: Reports have been popping up about this revolutionary LG Wing for some time, but now it has also been effectively introduced. As a result, we now really know how the smartphone works.
- The main screen of the LG Wing is a 6.8 inch OLED screen with a resolution of 2460 × 1080 pixels.
- The second, bottom screen is 3.9 inches with 1240 × 1080 pixels.
- The front camera is in a pop-up area. That way, both screens have no notch or notch.
- The main camera has 64 megapixels.
- In addition, there are two ultra-wide-angle lenses of 12 and 13 megapixels.
- The LG Wing has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G processor that is compatible with 5G.
- The device has 8 GB of RAM and 128 or 256 GB of storage.
- The battery has a capacity of 4,000 mAh
- The LG Wing will be available in Belgium at the end of this year, although it is not yet known how much it will cost.
What is the purpose of the rotating screen? According to LG, there are several ways to use the Wing’s second screen.
- If you use a navigation application such as Google Maps or Waze, you can leave it on the horizontal screen while you send messages or do something else on the small screen.
- While viewing videos or photos, you can continue to see them in full size if you go to the settings.
- The small second screen can also be used to hold your smartphone. LG came up with Grip Mode for this in which the touch screen of the bottom screen does not respond.
What else is coming to LG? The LG Wing is part of LG’s so-called “Explorer Project”. That is a series of products that they believe should deliver “distinctive and unexplored usability experiences”.
The next revolutionary smartphone in that series appears to be a device with a retractable screen. At the end of the Wing’s announcement, LG showed a brief picture of such a device. In the video below you can see that from 1:05:38. The video closes with the text “Hold your breath“.