Many Flemish people are concerned about health care in our country and the ongoing political crisis. This is evident from De Stemming, a study by the VUB, the University of Antwerp, VRT NWS and De Standaard. Since the corona crisis, the Flemish people seem to be less awake about themes such as the Community’s problems, migration, the environment and the climate. The study was therefore conducted between April 9 and 28. N-VA and Vlaams Belang are now also much less associated with central political themes. However, Vlaams Belang would be the biggest party if elections were organized now with N-VA in second place.
- If elections were to be held now, Vlaams Belang the largest party in Flanders with 24.5 percent of the votes. That is an increase of 6 percent. This would put the party back at the top level of 2004.
- N-VA would drop further to 20.3 percent. That would mean a loss of 4.5 percent. Together, the parties would represent 44.8 percent of the Flemish, which accounts for a narrow majority at the Flemish level.
- Striking: 69 percent of Flemish people who no longer want to vote for N-VA, switch to Vlaams Belang. The main reason for this is that they state that “N-VA is a party that does not keep its promises, that is not hard enough about migration, that has done too little and that it is only for the rich”.
- Many former N-VA voters are also angry about the cordon sanitaire. N-VA chairman Bart De Wever spoke with Vlaams Belang for months when the Flemish government was formed, something that had never happened before.
- After the Flemish nationalist parties, the classical parties and Groen follow: CD&V by 11.9 percent (down by 3.6 percent), Open Fld by 11.6 percent (down 1.5 percent), Green by 11.1 percent (1 percent increase) and spa by 11 percent (an increase of 0.6 percentage point).
Political representation and Community problems
- About 24 percent of the Flemish people feel that they are poorly represented by the politics. This may be because no new federal government was formed about a year after the elections. Vlaams Belang, the big winner in the elections, was also almost immediately put aside.
- Another 11 percent of the Flemish are awake community problems. That also has to do with the political crisis. For example, in the last elections Flanders voted predominantly (extreme) right and French-speaking Belgium predominantly (extreme) left. The corona crisis also exposed that community mess again. Just think of the fact that our country has a total of nine health ministers.
Migration, economy and climate
- About 10 percent of the Flemish consider migration currently as a problem. That theme was central to the elections last year.
- Furthermore, 6 percent of Flemish people are concerned about the economy and is 3 percent awake from the budget and government debt. It is almost certain that this attitude will change due to the economic crisis that will follow the corona crisis.
- Moreover, barely 1 percent of Flemings experience the current situation around environment and climate as problematic. Barely 0.3 percent advanced pension as the main problem.
Socialists claim themes
When a particular political theme is associated with a political party, it usually means election success.
- Flemings associate the theme healthcare most with the parties CD&V (18 percent) and spa (16 percent). It is striking that 19 percent do not link this theme to a political party.
- 34 percent of the respondents link the theme economy On Open Fld. N-VA comes in second with 21 percent.
- The theme retirement is primarily associated with spa (22 percent), followed by PVDA (13 percent). Also, 19 percent of respondents do not link this theme to any political party.
- At the theme mobility most is thought of Green and N-VA. Perhaps the green proposals by Ben Weyts (N-VA) as Flemish Minister for Mobility had to do with this during the previous legislature.
- 45 percent of the respondents remain the theme migration connect with Vlaams Belang, followed by N-VA by 15 percent. A heavy blow for the party of Bart De Wever.
- In addition, 68 percent of respondents consider it Green as the climatic party eminently.
- In addition, spa most associated with the social Security (29 percent). That is much lower than the percentage of Green for the climate theme and that of Vlaams Belang for the migration theme.