South Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho has finally finished the script for another film. A year after his triumph at the Oscars with Parasite can therefore look forward to a successor.
On May 21, 2019, the South Korean film went at the Cannes Film Festival Parasite premiered. It was the start of a nine-month glory tour for director Bong Joon-ho through all the major film festivals and award shows.
Won in Cannes Parasite the Golden Palm. Later, the film also won a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild Award and two BAFTAs. The greatest triumph, however, came at the Oscars. There was Parasite nominated for five Academy Awards, of which it would eventually win four. It was the first non-English language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture.
Two new projects
After that hugely busy period, Bong had a hard time getting back to work for a long time. “Now that I finally have the time, I try to fly in again, but I’m so mentally and physically exhausted,” Bong told The Atlantic at the time.
At that time, the filmmaker was already working on two new projects. It is an English-language and a Korean film. In an interview with Variety in November last year, Bong announced that the style is similar to his previous films Parasite and Mother.
“The Korean film is set in Seoul and has elements of horror and action. It is difficult to define the genre of my films. The English project is a drama based on a true event that took place in 2016. Of course I won’t know for sure until I finish the script, but half of it has to take place in the UK and the other half in the US. ”
“One script finished last week”
Since then, things have been quiet around Bong Joon-ho, but in a talk for the podcast The Director’s Cut the director / screenwriter came up with an update from IndieWire. “It feels like I’m splitting my brain left and right in two by writing these two scripts. But I finished one last week ”, he said there. It is not known which project it concerns.