Life Style

Samantha almost died when her son was born

Samantha: “I was not at all afraid to give birth. Djaimy is my fifth child and the previous deliveries were tough, but went according to the book. I thought this delivery would go easy.

I joked to my husband Bernd-Paul that this baby would probably get out of there and hopefully we would be at the hospital on time. I had no idea that it would all happen so dramatically.

Our fifth child was not planned. The pregnancy came unexpectedly, I got pregnant straight through the IUD. I was shocked when I saw the positive test, but Bernd-Paul reacted very soberly and practically: “We have to renovate at home and a new car.” That also allowed me to relax. This baby was a welcome surprise.

Vomit a lot

The pregnancy went well in the beginning, although I had to throw up a lot. By the end, I was often in the hospital because of my many allergies. I am allergic to almost all medicines, even paracetamol. But also for perfume and hair dye.

Pregnancy worsened these allergic reactions, I could not even use detergent because my skin reacted violently. During a check-up in the hospital it was decided to introduce me at thirty-seven weeks and two days.

A balloon catheter was inserted twice to initiate labor. My membranes broke and slowly I felt the contractions coming on. Suddenly the digestion went very quickly, so I hoped to be able to squeeze soon. But unfortunately I kept hanging on eight centimeter access.

Afraid to lose my child

I saw on the monitor that the baby’s heartbeat kept dipping. Suddenly I became afraid of losing my child. First I screamed for an epidural – while I am allergic to it too – then I yelled that I wanted a C-section. I felt very strongly that my child had to get out, immediately.

Fortunately I was listened to. I was rushed to the OK. driven, where an epidural was put. Despite my allergy, this was still safer than a full anesthetic, the anesthetist said. Our son Djaimy was born within fifteen minutes. Lifeless. He did not move, did not cry, and was completely blue. The room was filled with doctors and nurses who started to panic. Immediately a heart massage was started.

Panic in the room

I could not see all this, I was still on the operating table with a screen in front of my face. Although I saw nothing, I felt the panic in the room. I was sad and tense as the anesthetist tried to reassure me. “We’re doing our best, everything will be fine,” she said at the beginning. Later it became: “I don’t know how this is going to go.” They spent twenty minutes with Djaimy. All the while I didn’t hear him cry. I lost it, I thought.

After twenty minutes of CPR, Djaimy gave the first sign of life: he started urinating. Then some mucus was released and his intubation tube came loose. The doctor said he regained some color. I cried with happiness when I heard that. Everyone in the ok breathed a deep sigh of relief. Djaimy went to the children’s ward, I was now attached and was taken to the recovery room.

Endless kisses

A few hours later I was finally allowed to hold my son for the first time. I remember giving him endless kisses. After that I became more and more miserable. I got a fever, was short of breath and it felt like my guts were coming out. According to the doctors, there was nothing to worry about and it was just the consequences of the Caesarean section. A day later, Djaimy and I were taken to the Wilhelmina Hospital in Utrecht.

Fortunately, Djaimy soon went better. I received a catheter, probe and various scans. I had pneumonia and was sick with the RSA bacteria, which I probably okay. had contracted. As a result, I was only allowed to hold Djaimy with an apron and mouth mask on the front. The pain in my stomach was no longer able to cure. It turned out that there were several abscesses, and there was also an entanglement in my intestines, causing them to be closed.


Probably a mistake was made during Caesarean section. Again I had to undergo the surgery, now for keyhole surgery. During that operation my intestines jumped and I also had blood poisoning. I was dying and an ostomy was placed on my small intestine to save my life. For two weeks I was kept asleep in critical care in a critical condition.

I woke up on Christmas Day. My mother and stepfather were at my bedside. I was completely confused by the morphine. I had delusions and thought the hospital staff wanted to kill me. That was very frightening. But when I was no longer intubated and was able to breathe myself again, I calmed down again.


Later Berndt-Paul came along with Djaimy. That meant so much to me. When I was kept asleep at the IC I had so many nightmares that I no longer knew what was real and what I had dreamed. Did I really have a child? And was he still alive? How happy I was to finally be able to hold my son in my arms.

Two weeks later I was allowed to go home. There was a hospital bed in the living room and I received home care twice a day. I am still recovering. My stomach only absorbs twenty percent of what I eat and drink, so I have to be careful not to dry out.


My temporary ostomy will be removed in two months, hopefully my intestines will then resume their work. I also follow rehabilitation therapy and physiotherapy, because I can no longer use my right foot properly. A nerve was probably hit because the epidural was set too high. But I try to stay positive. I now have a scooter and I enjoy going outside with Djaimy in the baby carrier.

Djaimy is doing very well. He is now almost six months old and a super easy, happy baby. And a real daddy’s baby. The bond with him was different from my other children. When he was crying, I didn’t know what he wanted while I knew every cry of my older children. We had to get used to each other. Djaimy is my last child, I’m sure.

No more risk

“For less than a million I would like to get pregnant again. In any case, I should definitely not take that risk from the gynecologist. I am afraid that I will not be able to retell the next delivery. Plus: I am sincerely grateful that Djaimy and my other children are there You must be happy with what you have. One of the first things I said when I woke up in IC was, “Never again.” And I’m still 100 percent behind that. “

Don’t want to miss an episode of this section? Then click on the Never again tag below and then ‘Never again’.


Related Articles

Back to top button