The dispute among the billion-dollar Tengelmann family Haub is moving. Tengelmann co-owner Georg Haub withdrew his application to have his brother Karl-Erivan Haub, who had disappeared on a mountain tour in April 2018, declared dead, a spokesman for the Cologne District Court reported on Monday. The identical motions from Tengelmann boss Christian Haub and the Tengelmann group would be upheld. The “Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung” had previously reported on it.
Karl-Erivan Haub, one of the richest Germans, set off on a ski tour alone on April 7, 2018 and never returned. The family assumes that he had a fatal accident on the Klein Matterhorn near Zermatt in Switzerland. His younger brother Christian then took over sole management of the Tengelmann Group.
Since the disappearance, a family quarrel about the redistribution of power in the multi-billion dollar trading group has simmered. In October last year, Christian Haub and his brother Georg, together with the group of companies, applied to the Cologne District Court to have the missing person declared dead. A company spokesman said at the time that the aim was to maintain clear and stable relationships among shareholders and security for the group and its 90,000 employees.
With the step of the brothers, the pressure also increased on Katrin Haub, the wife of the disappeared, and her children to sell the shares of their family line. After all, the children have to be prepared for inheritance tax payments in the hundreds of millions. Back then, Katrin Haub sharply criticized the plans of the brothers who disappeared. “It is very strange that someone else presumes that they want to make such decisions for our family,” she said at the time. According to a judicial spokesman, the Cologne public prosecutor is still not planning to join the applications for a declaration of death.