Sport

UEFA already wants to whistle Leagues recovery

The president of the Union of European Football Associations believes that the European championships are ready to resume in camera. One good reason: to limit the financial crisis caused by the cessation of competitions.

The president of the Union of European Football Associations believes that the European championships are ready to resume in camera. One good reason: to limit the financial crisis caused by the cessation of competitions.

(AFP) – “I think there are options allowing us to start over and complete cups and championships.” This is what Aleksander Ceferin, UEFA president, just said in an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera. “We may have to start without spectators, but the most important is, I think, to play the matches”, considers the boss of European football. “It’s better to play behind closed doors than not at all.”

Ceferin also believes that a resumption “in these difficult times would bring joy to people and some form of return to normal, even if the matches can only be watched on television.” “If the security measures are respected and if the authorities give the green light, the training could resume like the rest,” said Aleksander Ceferin.

Most Bundesliga clubs thus resumed training last week, in small groups and respecting the rules of distancing. On the La Liga side, it was announced on Monday that a memorandum of understanding for a resumption of training would be signed as soon as possible. For Ceferin, if the championships resume “soon enough”, then the Champions League and the Europa League could be “contested in parallel” without a deadline for the finals.


Paul Philipp (Praesident FLF - Fussballverband Luxemburg) nachdenklich/ Fussball, UEFA EM-Qualifikation 2020, Season 2019-2020, Gruppe B, European Qualifiers / 10.09.2019 / Luxemburg - Serbien (Luxembourg vs Serbia) / Josy Barthel stadium, Luxemburg / Foto: Ben Majerus

Paul Philipp, president of the FLF believes that the current season should end there. But the former national coach remains suspended from the decision of the UEFA executive committee, scheduled for next Thursday.


The Slovenian said he was not in favor of a season spanning September and October because “it would have a huge impact” on the 2020-21 season. “We can finish, but respecting the decisions of the authorities,” he added, stressing that “the priority” remains “the health of the fans, players and coaches”. As for countries that have already announced their end of the season, such as Belgium, “their cases will be examined by the executive committee,” added the UEFA president.


Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close