“The first medal in my life,” says Verstappen. “The race went better than expected. Still: Mercedes looks fast. It’s going to be an exciting fight tomorrow. We have trimmed our car so that we have a good top speed. ” Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko also says: “The Monza trauma is gradually disappearing. We never thought that we would start from pole at Monza. Our speed is encouraging. If the start works, we can start dreaming. ” Fun fact: For Red Bull it is the first Monza Pole since Sebastian Vettel 2013.
Sebastian Vettel will hardly be satisfied. The Aston Martin star drops from eleventh on the grid to twelfth, while his team-mate Lance Stroll is tenth. “I got off to a very good start, but I had nowhere to go,” explains Vettel. “I then caught a brake plate and couldn’t see much for the rest of the race. I’m glad I saw the checkered flag at all and that we didn’t have to go into the pits. “
Pierre Gasly triggers the first and only safety car phase in the first lap. He wipes his front wing at the rear of Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren and rushes into the tire wall in the Curva Grande. The Alpha Tauri driver, who won in Monza in 2020, remains uninjured.
Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix
2. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) – Red Bull +2.325 sec.
3. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) – McLaren +14,534
4. Lando Norris (UK) – McLaren +18,835
5. Lewis Hamilton (UK) – Mercedes +20.011
6. Charles Leclerc (Monaco) – Ferrari +23,442
7. Carlos Sainz Jr. (Spain) – Ferrari +27,952
8. Antonio Giovinazzi (Italy) – Alfa Romeo +31,089
9. Sergio Perez (Mexico) – Red Bull +31,680
10. Lance Stroll (Canada) – Aston Martin +38,671
11. Fernando Alonso (Spain) – Alpine +39,795
12. Sebastian Vettel (Heppenheim) – Aston Martin +41.177
13. Esteban Ocon (France) – Alpine +43,373
14. Nicholas Latifi (Canada) – Williams +45,977
15. George Russell (Great Britain) – Williams +46,821
16. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan) – Alpha Tauri +49.977
17.Nikita Masepin (Russia) – Haas +1: 02.599 min.
18. Robert Kubica (Poland) – Alfa Romeo +1: 05.096
19. Mick Schumacher (Gland / Switzerland) – Haas +1: 06.154;
Pierre Gasly (France) – Alpha Tauri (1st round)